Friday, May 16, 2014

Isaac Update



So over 18 months ago, I got married!  To a guy named Isaac.  We moved to Layton so I could commute to South Jordan for 2nd grade teaching and he could commute to Logan for college teaching (he had a fellowship to get his master's of statistics).  It's been great!  And now to the present...

About the happenings in our family recently, Isaac and I had a nice day in Logan last Saturday going to his "graduation".  Utah State only does one official graduation each year in May, so if we were going to do something, it was going to be now.  Although Isaac didn't walk because his name wasn't on the program and he didn't want to, they will apparently give him a diploma whenever. For him, that means August when his advisor is back from China (she's Chinese and goes home every summer) and he is done with his thesis.

There were two ceremonies he attended, but we're slackers and didn't stay through either of them.  No general authority or keynote speakers (that was only for undergrad commencement), no address from the Dean or anything...just small bands/bagpipes playing the Aggie Song and the reading of names.  Friday was for all USU graduate students, and Saturday, the College of Science, which of 3 science colleges at Utah State in addition to engineering, interestingly houses the department of Mathematics and Statistics.  

My favorite part (because it was the only part apart from the above) was the Valedictorian Address.  He talked about how people have instantly stereotyped him as a socially inept nerd when they hear that he was homeschooled and double-majoring in two hard sciences.  Actually, he said he chose homeschooling in Middle School because he was struggling with school and was disappointed that he couldn't get into the Honors classes, which was standard for the culture his town.  School was always hard for him and even here he was far from being the brainiest student.  His owed his success to three things that he hoped everyone would think on, one being the support of good family and friends.  At this point, I hoped to pat myself on the back for being such a supporting and helpful wife of Isaac in this process.  But it only took a millisecond to remember that I've done little.  Regardless of the fact that AP Statistics was my favorite course growing up, this got me nowhere in helping Isaac with all of his computer-based coding projects and even College Algebra course he taught whose material I've forgotten.  He has really stepped it up even since that first semester to work diligently for long hours on homework and grading the work of his 40ish students.  Sure, he's had a much more flexible schedule than the 12 hours a day I'm gone, but he's been up with me every morning sending me off to school with breakfast for the car and helping with the household tasks.  And this week, oh man, am I lucky.  Since he's been home all day, I come home to him working on the laundry or dishes or having been on a run since all-of-the-sudden deciding to do the half marathon in June after hurting his back and thinking that was a no-go.  This is all while the computer spins with data he's waiting for it to crunch (it's still spinning and it's been about 24 hours.  He estimates 80 hours total.  New computer, just very big number sets!)  Anyway, it's more his family, the growing up experiences and current outreach that deserve the applause to what he has made of himself today.

After the Valedictorian speech we left, but I can't say anyone else did.  The ballroom was packed, as was the overflow area and many people were still standing to watch the proceedings on a big screen.  Instead, we went over to his building, called the Animal Science Building, which reminds me of the Brimhall.  There's nothing animal about it, it's where Math/Stats took over this year.  He had hanging a very nice scientific poster for his final class project about using statistical processes to classify two types of mice.  As editor in chief for that poster (that's one area I'm not totally useless), I was familiar with it and was drawn next to his peer's poster.   She tested the effectiveness of test questions on Layton High math students based on the time of day they took the class, which teacher they had, and of course whether or not their answer was correct.  Unfortunately, no matter what teacher you had, there seemed to be no correlation between anything and getting a higher math grade.  Either you understood the math and got it right, or you didn't.  Sounds like Isaac's 1010 class, where half of his students fail each semester no matter what he tries to do differently.  I wasn't sure as a teacher if this was to be taken hopefully, that I'm not ultimately responsible for the success of my students, or discouragingly, that nothing I do potentially matters. :)  At any rate, his friend was hired by Layton High (whose principal is a friend in our ward) so we are happy for her.  

We also ran into Isaac's advisor, Yan Sun, whom I love without ever having met before.  She is so friendly and helpful (and randomly got married this week without anyone knowing to a fellow USU Chinese professor) so we are happy for her, too.  While Isaac met with his class coordinator, I started filling out paperwork for her to get funding for our trip to Spain.  We had found out just previously that her paper, with additions by Isaac, submitted to the International Conference on Time Series (that's the field of Isaac's thesis) was accepted.  She has asked him to go and present it on their behalf.  We're waiting to see the amount he gets from various sources until we decide the exact dates and events of our trip in late June, but she has already paid for him to attend as a presenter, and for me to attend as a "social guest."  For other means to pay for my travel, I feel so blessed after being stressed that this would take every penny we have.  After paying additional taxes last year around this time to both federal and state, we actually got back a decent tax return this year.  And people at my school coincidentally gave me cash this week, in name of my birthday or piano tips in abnormally high amounts.  I recently reached enough sky miles to pay for our first leg of the flight and just as gas prices are skyrocketing I'm the only one driving now, so perhaps it's not so coincidental after all and this is an opportunity meant to be.  I wasn't about to sit home while he went, so to Granada we go!  

In the meantime, Isaac's big three projects are first, to plan his presentation for Spain, second to write the analysis for his thesis paper, and of course third, to find a job.  Nothing on that front yet, but it had been put on the back burner until this week when classes were finally over.  I'm looking at less than 10 days left myself until the school year winds down so we're happy it's summer and we can make time for these big decisions.  Isaac often asks the question, "Where do you think we'll end up?" and it honestly could be anywhere, and anywhere would be great with me.  I can't think of a place in the world that would be so terrible to go that I wouldn't, although my mom said "uh, bad idea" when I talked about a layover in Moscow. :)  Isaac recently named his top 5 states (but I think it was actually 7) that he would like to get a job in.  Anyone care to take a guess?  So here's to a summer full of fun, hard work, and surprises!  Congratulations, Isaac!