I say this like it is a good thing. And although it's strange and sometimes sad and sometimes drives me crazy, it IS a good thing! And here is why...
When I told my bosses I had better
quit, it was because Isaac had a job
offer in DC and a probable one (which he got) in Wisconsin. We visited
Wisconsin and we liked it there and we have lots of family and friends in
DC. We thought we were choosing between the two, but as of this week he
has turned both down. So in answer to the question of what we've been
doing since August 10 when I would have started school but instead cleaned out
my classroom, it's been a lot of "what if" talks, pro and con lists,
job, salary, and cost-of-living research, phone calls with their recruiters,
bargaining, questions, several temple trips and prayer, and soul searching for
what we want out of life. :)
The day we flew home from Wisconsin,
he got a call from a church employee wanting him to "quickly" interview for a job, knowing he had other offers on the
table. This job seemed more appealing to him than even the others, which we had concluded were both good choices but not "right".
He'd be doing very interesting work and it would be downtown instead of in the
Riverton building where his internship was.
So yes, we're holding out for this one coming through.
Why then, would I have resigned
teaching? I actually don't know. Someone (not staff) that I know through the school said to me, "So did you
lie to the director about moving out-of-state because you're pregnant?
Lots of teachers have already figured out that the 'stomach virus' you said you had when you quit is probably just morning sickness." Well, I'm glad they've
concluded that, because my doctor and I sure didn't. His nurse had the
same virus I had (coupled with Strep B) which my sister-in-law's sister also
had, and surprisingly I rarely needed the accompanying nausea medicine prescribed. For someone with inflammatory bowel disease, it was actually the worst stomach pains I can remember, fever and aches, and diarrhea every time I drank or ate anything more
than water/Gatorade for 10 days. I hope pregnancy isn't that bad
for me. So no, I'm not pregnant, and even if that did miraculously happen
soon, I could still teach a full school year so that was a non-issue. I
did not lie to our boss: I really thought we were moving out of state and was
trying to give as much time as possible to find a new teacher and avoid having
to quit two weeks into the school year. We would have loved moving away, though I had finally gotten quite excited
for the new year at school thinking Isaac would still be unemployed. I believe the school director thinking to put the 4th grade teacher in my 2nd grade spot was the best choice ever and I know she needs to be there for that class just as much as I know that for some reason I'm not.
Now we are leaving it in the Lord's hands to see if He indeed would like us to stay just where we're at in Davis County: Isaac working, and me eating popcorn and bonbons on the couch (according to my school accountant :)). Isaac wants to add that I'll also be watching the soaps for sure. Yes...on the t.v. we don't have?
Now we are leaving it in the Lord's hands to see if He indeed would like us to stay just where we're at in Davis County: Isaac working, and me eating popcorn and bonbons on the couch (according to my school accountant :)). Isaac wants to add that I'll also be watching the soaps for sure. Yes...on the t.v. we don't have?
In the meantime, since I don't feel
right about teaching full time, I have been asked by a neighbor to volunteer for a reading program at the local school and potentially take on a part-time
job as a curriculum editor with another neighbor. I will also get on a bunch of
projects that I'm behind on--even simple things like actually cooking meals and
doing laundry-- that any of you who work full-time and do must have some super
power if you ask me. In short, you are my heroes! Keep it up.
And I will keep you posted here from
the Bountiful Basement where it looks like we're going to stay.