Monday, September 21, 2015

The Life of Retirement

Today Isaac's brother-in-law asked me, "So how is retirement?"  I like the sound of that.  Almost 30 years old and retired. :)  Retired is an interesting word.  The "tired" part in it certainly has improved for me: I'm no longer pooped after being at work from 8-8.  Its actual definition can mean "no longer tied to one's business or profession".  That's not true for me, as I find myself subbing for my old co-workers and wanting to keep up with my friends there at the school.  It can also mean secluded, and I thought I might feel that way just hanging out by myself in the basement doing my own thing.  But instead, I have a much greater variety of things to do and people to see because, well, lots seems to pop up when you aren't tied down to being at work all day!  Things that were never an option suddenly are and people expect you to be there (and I expect it of myself) because as a ward member remarked, "You're just at home every day now without kids, right?" So naturally I have nothing to do and could and should be involved, true? :P

Hmm...looks like I'm going to have to fight the ole battle I always lost in college...learning to say "no" instead of trying to pack it all in.  It certainly hasn't been the life of sorting through my photos, making tasty meals, reading books all day, and picking up long-lost hobbies like music and tennis as I expected.  I have had an increased emphasis on exercise, however--trying to get my stomach and my back in tip-top shape.  And I do love to visit or serve with friends, family, and neighbors, so that can't be snubbed.  At least I'm far from bored!  And actually, pretty happy.  Didn't I always say that my job was getting in the way of my work? :)  Now I just have to remember that there is indeed still work to be done.

But seriously, the number one question I've gotten this month is "What are you doing with your time these days?" and rightfully so considering my new circumstance (which if you haven't heard, is that Isaac got his job with the Church and we are not moving).  This question actually made me realize that how we each spend our days could be a really fascinating study of our life needs, goals, and dreams.  Maybe you spend all day in college courses and doing homework, or training for an Olympic sport like my old 2nd Grader.  Maybe you don't know what you do with your day because it's filled with children and what they are doing with their day and suddenly it's over and you're just glad to be functioning.  Maybe you work long hours at a career whether or not you like it.  Maybe you're like my mom, and your time and thoughts are going to your aging parent and service in the Church, community, and family.  Time doesn't actually seem all that fair to me: too easily snatched up and often out of our control.  And yet, each of these circumstances are more or less our choice.

Below is how I've chosen to spend my week.  I hope they're all not this busy, but I'm glad to remind myself that I did indeed choose this so it's my fault.  And it will be fun.  The red things are out of the ordinary, the others are (or hope to be) part of the typical routine.  Between all the gaps the goal is to clean/organize, practice music, do my calling, enjoy friends and family, and my favorites: eat and rest. :D



Now you know (you'll likely have to click it to see).  This is what I'm up to.
I wonder what story this tells about my life right now.  What would your calendar tell about you?