Today my face broke out with pimples/a rash from a reaction to honeydew melon rind. My throat and lips were itchy and I had sores on the corners of my mouth. Thankfully it's nothing by way of pain or danger like my allergy to peanuts which has increased severely recently. I've had a couple of trips to the urgent care to get oxygen and shots for that one, so I'm glad this uncomfortableness in no way compares. And yet, that combined with heavy cramps and a yucky, tired, moody body from period symptoms when I'm definitely not near my period, was enough to make the day another interesting medical adventure.
In my best interest, I abandoned my duties at work (which were none today with school soon ending :)) and went straightway to take care of these issues with my allergist and gynecologist. I usually do okay when facing these physicians directly, like laughing when they tell me that if I eat anything peanut again I could die. :P Then I leave their office, and decide I want to die. :) Kevin gets the brunt of that when on his next phone call I can't keep back the tears. I don't know why I've been so dramatic about it, although that's part of the problem with my hormones. I may be a crier, but I hope I'm not a whiner. Today made me wonder, though, and realize I have been.
That is until I could step back and realize what was happening to me: a recently acquired allergy to my favorite food (honeydew)'s rind, and another annoying day of girl stuff that a lot of people have to go through every month whereas until lately I've gotten off easy. (Sorry for the details, I'll conclude that topic by saying they think it's my thyroid or pituitary glands). I saw just how random and yet "same old, same old" this was for me and my health. I was taken back to the days I last wrote on the blog, when more serious things were being diagnosed constantly. Now they're not even that big of an issue. Back brace for the rest of my life? Ha! Arthritis pain taking over my soul? Ha! Scoliosis and pelvic problems that can't be adjusted? Ha! Never eating tomatoes, etc. again? Double ha! (I love tomatoes. :)) I'm sure this incident will be the same way. Sure, I'll have to avoid peanuts at all costs, and take a spray and pill to calm my allergies to every plant and tree, but if I just cut off the rind of melons and wash them like a Nazi, I'll be fine.
Getting my senses back to think this through rationally, I then took my typical but irrational response: laughter. I honesty thought it was funny that yet another thing had happened, particularly after all the peanut dramas of late. Laughing launched me back to my old self from November, where I was much worse and yet much more optimistic. Disappointed then, to say the least, but nevertheless happy. Why am I not like that now? I don't have a good excuse. So I will be. And thus, it turned into a very worn-out, unproductive, and smiling night.
The Bishop also taught us on Sunday that amid a time where we should be selfish in completing our education, and starting our own careers and families, we should look for one thing to do to be selfless. Thanks to Janae, who replenished my empty card collection, I was able before the medical weirdness to write two of many needed notes to friends who had taught me things and deserved a pick-me-up because of it. It was something small, but boy did I feel good. I'll take the Bishop's challenge any day to feel like I accomplished something meaningful myself, let alone did anything for someone else.