Wednesday, December 23, 2015

How I Will Come to be 30 and Childless: PART I

Something told me as a freshman in college that I wouldn't be getting married very soon.  I still anxiously wondered and waited for that day, but also saw so many girls struggle with the agony of being single that I just prayed they'd all get married before me and have their wishes come true.  I watched most of my roommates get married and move away and it was sometimes hard to see them have what I wanted, but I knew I'd rather it be me in my shoes than them.  I knew I'd be okay.  My heart still aches for those who aren't yet married, but then again, I still had a great life worth living when I was single, so why can't they be afforded that chance, too?


Not having children yet has been similar.  Of course I thought I would have children by now.  Of course I want them one day.  Of course I know Heavenly Father wants that for me one day.  I know a main reason He wanted me to experience fertility mishaps, though: empathy for the many family members and some friends who have also struggled for children.  Isaac and I have prayed for them like we have the singles--that all their dreams would come true, even before ours did, if it meant they could be happy and us be in those shoes again instead of them.  Sometimes it works and we're happy and other times I may get jealous and upset (he never does ;)).  It can be hard being on either side of the coin: letting yourself be happy even though someone else wants what you have--or--letting yourself be sad when someone else has what you want.  The more I'm grateful for my life for what it is, not what it's not, the more my problem of comparing myself to others doesn't matter.  And I am very grateful for these past 3 years without children.  Bottom line: even without kids, I still have a great life worth living.