Thursday, January 21, 2016

How I Will Come to be 30 and Childless: PART II


It all started when I went on birth control pills the summer before our wedding to get my cycle just perfect--which didn't help anyway because I started menstruating fifteen minutes before our reception started.  It had already been a rough day and I was not a happy camper.  It didn't take long to remember that I don't enjoy the side effects of the pill and don't believe in postponing children unless directed, so I stopped taking it.  

We were nervous and leery about having children right off the bat with Isaac embarking on graduate school and knowing that would leave us no money if I gave birth and wanted to quit teaching.  Nevertheless, we knew if the Lord wanted us to have children,  He would make a way for us like He does so many others and we would be happy. 
Each month we went to the temple and I asked a similar question: "Can we/should we have children yet?"   
Each month for about a year and a half the answer came..."Not yet.  It's not the right time."  
Each month I was disappointed and yet relieved that I continually knew the Lord's will when so often the trial can be getting no answer at all. 

Then the answers stopped.  No no's OR yeses.  A few months later came the thought, "the time is getting close when you'll be expecting a baby."  Oh, so "getting close" like when I had that same feeling about getting married and it was still a couple of years before I did?  Yep, whatever close meant.  We took that to mean it was either our choice or it was a go-ahead, so we worked in that direction by learning all about tracking cycles, temperatures, fluids and all the fertility helps and inhibitors.  We were going to be well-informed and exact and thus surely get a good result, right?  
Within a few months of being really on top of this, those temple answers turned into "Yes, try!" "Yes, this is right." But nothing ever happened....