Saturday, February 6, 2016

How I Will Come to be 30 and Childless: PART III

...Nothing happened that is, until I miscarried near the end of 2014--which was actually more physically painful at first than emotionally, especially since I didn't even realize what was happening.  Isaac and I had stayed home from church and were both in a lot of pain, which I just assumed came from my flu shot or his flu.  I don't like taking pregnancy tests and hadn't charted that month so I didn't even know I was pregnant until I pieced together the symptoms and events and confirmed with my doctor.  She and I were both sad and thrilled all at once: I wasn't infertile!  I knew I could conceive and so all her fertility tests in line for the next month she no longer deemed necessary knowing that my body was completely capable.  All the sadness and "unfairness" of miscarriage came later, but so did more hope and assurance and excitement that the timing must certainly be right now and things would work out when they were supposed to.  My thinking was that, after all, we'd been married more than two years at this point, having been open to children all that time when others were "accidentally" conceiving.  So surely I had the faith that the Lord could answer my prayers to get what I wanted at least by the time I turned 30 a year from May.

That clearly wasn't supposed to work out.  Within eight months I had three more early pregnancy losses and "unexplained infertility" because nothing was found wrong with my body in any of this level , that cycle, this obstruction, or that timing.  I was getting pregnant, and my body seemed capable of holding a pregnancy, it just wasn't, even with some helps.  That was beyond what the doctor could assist with and since Isaac had rock solid faith that it would simply happen when it happened, we just kept on.  We quit reading the books and the literature and seeking advice from all the friends and fertility experts, and just waited.
Then this summer his sister nicely suggested a fertility treatment and it was like we'd never heard of it or considered it before until we looked it up in our know-it-all-book and realized oh yah, we went down that road before and were left only with a stupor of thought back then.  We concluded then that as soon as Isaac got a job and we had better health insurance, we would be in perfect position for children anyway and could better afford the best of the best treatments.  If we got lucky, all of our problems would be solved, if we even still needed them solved by the time of our appointment!