Saturday, October 25, 2008
On the campaign trail...
The funniest/scariest/best thing all day happened to me while campaigning for Steve Baugh, a leader at church and in the school of education. This morning Aaron and I went door to door in north Orem in support of his run for state legislation. We were in a dense area of registered voters (almost every house was on our list) and it was interesting to see the neighborhood "rivalries" for one candidate versus another. I, for example, was very impressed with a lady who already had a sign up for Steve, apparently just from knowing his character and perchance meeting him, not necessarily understanding all his political views. We had a good chat, I asked if she could use any more brochures to give her neighbors, and she thanked me but said she'd just gotten another one in the mail. That made me wonder exactly what my purpose was if these people were already in support, but I enjoyed the conversation and headed down the steps. Little did I realize what an impact it would be for her to "pass the news on to her neighbors." As I walked across the street, I noticed several signs for the opponent (Steven Sandstrom) in the yard and wondered if I dared take a stand and have any influence. There were a few people outside the house, so I figured a friendly conversation with my "Steve Baugh" pin on couldn't do any harm. Just as I was getting my bearings, Aaron came around from the front door mumbling something about knowing the people's house we were at. I was confused, and he motioned me off the driveway as a teenager pulled up in a Cadillac. "I think we had better take this one off the list" he said, as he wrote "AVOID" on our map. Being surprised that such a family friendly household would have yelled at him, sent the dogs out, etc. he pointed to the household name: Steven Sandstrom. Oops. Kudos to the lady across the street (and several others in the neighborhood) for supporting our Steve! I could never put her sign up knowing that the window it faced was the man in office himself! Thank goodness for Aaron noticing that he, too, was a registered voter. :)