Friday, October 17, 2008

Take a stroll down Pennsylvania Avenue

The funniest thing all day is that which I am doing right now: watching Cami and Preston play Monopoly. It all began by Preston swindling us because it's Monopoly week at McDonald's and therefore our American duty to play this "classic Parker Brothers game." (I don't agree to play Monopoly much as you can tell. Ditto with Risk. :)) When Cami said she didn't have the original version (we only have Washington, D.C. and Mustang version which aren't the true classic) she gave us permission to call her un-American. :) I went bankrupt long ago, so I get to lie here in pain listening to their ridiculousness and laughing until I think my soul might explode.
Some of my favorite comments (which aren't nearly as funny if you're not here to witness these crazos) follow. If you know Preston and Cami, you know what I'm talking about. :)

Cami: "'From sale of stock you get $45'. That's like toothpaste!"

Cami: "Just chill out for a second and give me a chance!!!!" (then a lot of "ahhhs" and rubbing of hands happened. :)

Cami: "'Win 2nd prize in a beauty contest, collect $2 million."
Preston: "Ummm, no, just $10" (without first seeing the card).
Cami: "What, are you saying I'm not pretty?"
Later on...
Cami: "Are you sure that's the rule?"
Preston: "I don't lie about these kind of things."
Cami: "So just what do you lie about then, how pretty I am?"
At the end of the game, Amber: "I still have one dollar bills left? I'm alive!!!!" (The only thing I care about in Monopoly is getting all the ones). [While I was distracted Cami hands over all my ones to Preston]. "What criminal stole all my ones?" Cami: "Let's face it Amber, they're not really yours anyway. [tears].
Cami: "But Preston I love your fingerprints, and not in some stalker face kind of way."
The end. There was no official winner.

The best thing I did all day is go to UEA (Utah Education Association Convention) and be "swindled by all those crazy left-wing liberals" as Preston warned me. Some of my political opinions actually did change, like how I feel about No Child Left Behind and my confirmed resolution to not like vouchers. Alphie Kohn and his crazy Boston upity sassiness was the highlight. (Alphie Kohn is a famous educator who is really angry about well, everything to do with education in America (although he still claimes we are the best and shouldn't think any counry is doing any better by any meaningful measurement). He's a hoot and a half and I'm going to add his best statements on my quote page...coming soon.