
By "the beginning of the best Christmas songs" in the last post, I meant that perhaps my favorite thing about Christmas after the feelings it gives me, is its music, which often is the source of the feelings. Although I love the actual melodies, I think the lyrics are sadly often lost to our brains because the tunes are so familiar. I like to think about the lyrics and realize why because of them, the melodies invoke the spirit that they do. I've always been told that is why it is a good thing that above all instruments I like singing: it is the only one in which music can be combined with word.
Today's song goes out to Preston, as it is his favorite Christmas piece. I listened to the Tabernacle Choir's rendition over and over again in my car because it's so powerful, especially at the end (my favorite part) in its tie to the Savior as He now stands and will stand again at his second coming. And Mack Wilberg's arrangement has the best combination of the original French tune and lyrics along with the influence of "Angels we Have Heard on High".
"Angels from the realms of glory,
Wing your flight o'er all the earth;
Ye who sang creation's story
Now proclaim Messiah's birth
Shepherds, in the field abiding,
Watching o'er your flocks by night,
God with us is now residing; [isn't that what "Emmanuel" translates to?!]
Yonder shines the infant light
Sages, leave your contemplations,
Brighter visions beam afar;
Seek the great desire of nations,
Ye have seen His natal star;
Though an Infant now we view Him,
He shall fill His Father's throne,
Gather all the nations to Him;
Every knee shall then bow down:
Saints before the altar bending,
Watching long in hope and fear,
Suddenly the Lord, descending,
In His temple shall appear:
Come and worship,
Come and worship,
Worship Christ, the newborn King."