The best thing that happened to me all day was definitely riding on the Motor Speedway track at 80 miles an hour (with a 24% grade it's a little different--see the pictures). I looked out the back window, and the lady driving behind us was at least a 60 year old grandma. Awesome.
The best thing I did all day was learning how to whitewater raft at the National Whitewater Center where the Olympians train. They start out teaching you nice and easy, going straight through the small rapids and just hoping that you don't fall out. Then you advance to the course of class 4 rapids and do frontwards, backwards!, and also try constantly spinning and surfing. This leads me to the best thing I heard all day, which was my guide yelling "get down!" which to me meant, "Halleluia, I have approximately one second to wimp out and jump inside the boat or otherwise I'm toast and over the side." I would have floated away a couple of times for sure, had it not been for the glorious foot pocket I had being at the head of the boat, and Brent grabbing my leg and holding it down (even the foot pocket was not enough) when the water completely covered our heads on one surf. Can I tell you how strangely safe you feel though, being in a man-made center with several professionals around? So fun!
The best thing I saw all day was Pinehurst resort, a must-know for casual golf fans like myself. Brent introduced the resort to me and from there I fell in love (thanks to Preston and a lot of reading) with its connection to the Payne Stewart story. "Pinehurst is the St. Andrew's of America" and it was indeed impressive. I can't wait to go back someday when a) it's light outside and I can actually find the first tee of No. 2; b) I have enough money and decide to fork it out for a round (that's lofty!); and c) I can stay in Pine Crest Inn where they pitch golf balls into the fireplace! :)
http://picasaweb.google.com/augschmaug/Day4CharlotteAndPinehurst/photo#s5231042022891880610