Tuesday, August 5, 2008

The Trip

Day 1: Friday August 1st
The best thing that happened to me all day was learning that not following through with my 5 year old dream to be an airport stewardess was a good thing. I still love flying, but the airport has lost a little of its zeal over the years. There were a few surprises to say the least, but it was a fantastic flight. After trying to inch my way into friendship with the passenger next to me (I secretly wanted the middle seat so I could have two strangers to talk to but got the window instead), I finally made friends with the dude as we were getting OFF the plane, only to find out he works with Adam and Stu in Provo and goes to BYU. And it could have been a much less boring flight! Oh well, my new friend (whose home airport is Charlotte) got me to the baggage claim okay where I met Brent and that was happy.

The best thing I saw all day was by far Antelope Island! What a great way to leave the state. :) Last time I flew east it was dark and this time the sun was perfect over my Island of Wonder. Before making a loop back east, we went north right over Valley View Golf Course in Layton! I could totally see my parents' house and wished I could shout hello. Flying over the mountains in Utah was great, and made me like Utah more, as in my opinion the scenery got less and less exciting. I've always heard talk of floating on clouds and never cared much, but now I'm determined to find a way physically to take a nap on one someday! Kyle and Eli--wanna help me our here?

The best thing I heard all day could have been the flight director's response when I returned to the gate desk a second time to see if they'd assigned me a seat yet. (When I approached her first she said they didn't have a seat for me yet and also that if I wanted dinner it would cost extra.) So I promptly left to use the restroom and buy a $12 sandwich at the nearest food place (finding out later that the meal I wanted on the plane was $4). When I came back, everyone had boarded and she said, "Oh! You must be Amber Blair!"
("Sure am," I thought. "I talked to you five minutes ago, remember?")
"We've been paging you all over the airport!"
Wow. Way to feel special and stupid, all in one. Too bad you don't hear that in the restroom, although a lady did come in there to make sure I wasn't flying to France because the Charles de Gaulle flight was leaving. Should I have hopped on there instead?!