Saturday, July 11, 2009

When Crises Aren't Crises: a post potentially pungent with cheese...so sue me

Best things I did all day:
Nobody mess with me and how wonderful my Island of [Antleope] Wonder looks. Its view from our house and even the temple only holds a candle to the true beauty of Frarrie and the lake. Wanna fight me on this? I'll Francis YOUR peak!
Translation: In thinking about the most gorgeous places I've been, of course I love the ocean, Lac Leman (and Lyman Lake) but their beauty doesn't touch the blue of Bear Lake or Lake Louise. Yet, I think the most beautiful view rivaling them is from Francis (Farmington) Peak. How have I lived without standing on the mountain in my own backyard (okay, front yard :))? I've fulfilled the "perfect day" I outlined on
Facebook long ago: good friends and good discussions, good books (scripture devotionals and Narnia) on a road trip to the TOP of a mountain! And thus..."I am the luckiest" (good tunes, too :)).

Other highlights: helping Aaron's little sister Kirstin get registered for BYU. She gave me the freshman enthusiasm for life. So did my Northridge reunion this afternoon. It was well needed, as I've been going through what Linda deems "a quarter-life crisis" (a few years early). Life would absolutely stink without these 'best things' that get in the way of utter sadness. :P

So after "coming down from the mountain" (Logan Mann's best idea of therapy for me) back into real life, I pulled an Emmaline and did my own therapy. To schmack with that "physical" therapy stuff (okay, did that, too). This was truly therapeutic...recreational even: It involved a lot of struggling, Love, Stargirl, C.S. Lewis, and what I call "music fun time" with me at the piano and Linda singing. It quickly came to an end when I starting singing AND playing and she told me she was listening to me. Freaky...that's a whole other idiosyncrasy story. But until then...total flow, my recreation friends, total flow! I can't even express the details, but you all know them...when life is terrible even when you have no room in the world to complain. And every solution is only a temporary one. You know it will be okay at some point, but right now it's still not. My simplistic advice (oops) (in addition to Bailee's wisdom of sticking to the "missionary basics") includes these beauties:

Phantom of the Opera, Wicked, Annie, The Secret Garden, The Little Mermaid, "God Help the Outcasts", Les Miserables, and a dozen American Folk hymns like "Amazing Grace", "Homeward Bound", and "Cross the Wide Missouri". And if anyone finds "Corner of the Sky" (Pippen) and "Water Knight" (Morten Lauridsen) you'd make my day. Margo, do you know Morten Lauridson? You should. Sang "Sure on the Shining Night" from him too, that we did with Sis. Hall (Bud's favorite :P) at BYU. Add these to a song called "River in Judea" (Junior High favorite sung at my friend Sean's funeral) and after visiting Sean's grave, my therapy will be complete. If I had to pick a favorite, however, it would be this song, which is dedicated to Megan Tatems and her Chatelaine singers. :) Their version and my version are the only truly acceptable ones. :) Always loved the music, but until now, I've found it difficult to apply it elsewhere than with physical "singing" and how music shapes my life. Not any more. A voice box is only the instrument for the heart voice. This is my life, my creed (so take a second look). And this is why cycles of cyclone crises hit. And blow. Hard.
And then blow. Away.

How Can I Keep From Singing!
(Adapted and arranged by John Coates, Jr.)

My life flows on in endless song
Above earth's lamentation;
I hear the real tho' far-off hymn that hails a new creation.
Thro' all life's tumult, pain and strife I hear the music ringing;
It sounds an echo in my soul--
How can I keep from singing!

What if my joys and comforts die?
I know that Truth is living!
What if the darkness 'round me close?
Still Truth is light is giving!
No storm can shake my in-most calm
While to that Rock I'm clinging;
Since Love is Lord of heav'n and earth,
How can I keep from singing!

I lift my eyes; the clouds grow thin; I see the blue above it.
And day by day this pathway smooths,
Since first I learned to love it.
The peace from Love makes fresh my heart;
A song of hope is springing.
All things are mine since Truth I have found--
How can I keep from Singing!