Today started out hard and ended hard. Everything in between was fine and normal, but therefore, uneventful. Today's events reminded me that I love trials because it's from them that I learn oodles more and love life for all its blessings.
This morning I decided that since I can now sleep on my side, it was about time that I should get back to a normal sleeping schedule and being productive in the early hours. How I love those early hours and yet...how I am so not a morning person. So, getting up earlier didn't last long and I went back to bed. For the third week in a row, just as my tail bone/back seems to be relieving itself from almost all pain, it gets well enough that I accidentally roll onto my back in my sleep, only to wake up in lots of pain and having not taken any medication for several hours. Such was the case today and I was facing too much pain and too little strength to even roll myself back over onto my stomach. Miraculously, Janae, who was going to meet me on campus for lunch, ended up coming home instead because she had to be to her school. She literally had to roll my pathetic, crying soul over and feed me some pain killer so I could even move. She always shows up at the right times and I am just so happy about that. I tell her she is my mother because she really does take good care of me.
Tonight I "pulled a classic Schmaugurt", as Booggie calls it, and wept for several minutes in gratitude for Brother and Sister Worlton who have recently been released as the High Councilman and Relief Society mentor in our singles' ward. I missed their exit on Sunday and picturing going to stake council tomorrow without Bro. Worlton sitting across from me smiling and playing the hymns in his beautiful organ legato style was just too much for me. My downfall when it comes to crying (other than the occasional physical pain that just has to be let loose) is missing people and feeling grateful for their blessings in my life. The Worltons are one of those couples that are way under-appreciated as grandparent-type figures in a ward. No one really knows just how much service, love, dedication, and obedience they have shown in all their years as a senior couple. Looking back at when I first met them as Relief Society President, I am so thankful for the way Heavenly Father has allowed me to grow over the past two years. Time is a crazy thing--despite some of the same stupid weaknesses I still have, there are slight changes that have really turned me around and helped me to grow up. President and Sister Wilkey, who will also be released soon are another case in point. Through these people I've come to learn and love so much about Relief Society, love, and life. Some days I'd gladly trade being a real adult with trial and responsibility for going back home and letting Mom and Dad take care of me. Then I see how little I knew then, and how much I can still know, and I realize I could never turn back time for anything. I guess that's the best thing about growing up....
Uh oh...here come those tears again. :)