Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Yay for Happiness!

Fact: I have an odd obsession about studying happiness. This mainly unfolded after reading one of my new favorite books of last year, Gross National Happiness. Most people think I'm some economic genius when they hear that title (okay, they know me better) and assume it's just some crazy political thing like I would get into. Although it does have some political elements, it is really the results of an in-depth study of what makes Americans happy. It's very telling in a "duh" sort of way, but solidifies what you and I already believe about what brings true joy (family, religion, etc.) and what doesn't (money, lack of productivity, etc.). Nicole and I had a grand old time reading it as we drove across America and discussed the circular causes/effects of happiness and analyzed how statistics that aren't so causal can bias the conclusions on both ends. However, from the author's comments, I find him fairly un-biased, at least in the direction he reads the results as compared to his personal background. Good stuff!
What does my book review have to do with the best thing that happened all day? Well, it's only noon and I'll tell you: the author, Arthur Brooks, is the next forum at BYU!!! Let's just say I spazzed out with excitement at this announcement and immediately picked up the phone to tell P-ditty (my brother), who originally lent me the book. I'm so excited! Did I mention that I love this book? And if anyone reads this, you should also give it a chance. True, it's non-fiction in a research summary sort of way, but it's not hard to follow, and it will make you think about our lives as Americans and what focus they should take for our personal success and growth as a nation. Gross national happiness is something that, in a time of low gross national product, to me is so much more important and satisfying. Two Tuesdays from today--watch the forum, I hope it's good!