The best thing I heard all day was a lot of chaos from my roommates that Mr. Obama was our new President-elect. From Aimee’s shrieks and Jess’s “I’m moving out of the country if he wins,” you would have thought the world was coming to an end. Or was it? Aimee posed the question, “What is this world coming to?” and Janae’s tactful response threw us both for a laugh:
“It’s coming to an end,” she blurted. “So let’s go make some guac!” Janae has been dying to make guacamole for our “election party”, and election over or not, that she did!
(Side note: I cried during McCain’s speech, not because I wanted him to win, but because of his words (very direct) about President-elect Obama and the racial significance of his win. I was very impressed with the respect he fostered (or rather disrespect he discouraged) with his audience; all Americans should follow his example of being valiant to the great history of our country. I fully intend to respect the winner (addressing him always as President Obama), and refrain from speaking against his person, even if his policies are ridiculous!
I just have to say how perfect it was that the first night I returned after student teaching, institute was about David O. McKay (he's my favorite!) and taught by Brother Porter. I had a nice chat with the Porters and they are such amazing people. I'm excited to go to the 66th ward conference just to see them again. Brother Porter just looked like President McKay with his tall presence, happy countenance, wavy, shiny white hair, and even talked about personal experiences and memories he had with the prophet. President McKay is my favorite because he's everything I want to be: loving, cheerful, kind, sensitive to the Spirit; the presence of the Lord was evident in him, he was focused on family, missionary work, and education. I need to learn more about him, but I often think despite some of the challenges I've had with BYU, what a blessing it is that I've attended a school of education in his name. If you have a chance, take a look at his quote inside the north doors of the McKay Building. It’s the inspiration behind my degree, and the reason I’m still alive as an educator. ☺