Monday, November 17, 2008

Singing, Marshmallows, and Leisurely Learning

The best thing I heard all day was Michelle singing on Janae's voice message. Oh the clever/silly original songs of the Michelleen punk! You're the best. Nice mimic of our hymn too (yes, that was me). :)

The best thing I saw all day was Jess eating her dessert. She started stabbing these things with a marshmallow and when I asked her what was going on she smiled and said, "They're chocolate chips!" She'd make them stick to the bottom of the marshmallow and pop 'em right in. Am I weird to be abnormally fascinated by this, or is this a widely accepted treat? Actually, no treat has to be widely accepted, it just has to be good. :)

The best thing I did all day was be "interviewed" by Skoticus. What this really meant is that he taught me about essays and I rambled about curriculum like our good ole days working at the Museum of Peoples and Cultures. Then I continued to ramble about my perspectives on life and he was an overly generous listener (as all my friends basically have to be, sorry!). He taught or retaught me a few things too: the reason we shouldn't hate school is because learning is supposed to be leisurely. To me leisurely learning (pull out the FLOW Emmaline!) means being enlightened with all levels of life, increasing your testimony, progressing in general, helping others, and building our minds to the point that it's addicting and fun. That is what learning is, and not what school often is. The goal then, as he often tells me, is not to let schooling get in the way of our education.

He also helped me pinpoint what I love about most boys' way of thinking. Preston's attitude has helped me see this perspective as well, which is "Sure it's hard, but what else is there to do, than get it done and get over it."

Finally, he has the theory that we only let things worry or stress us because there aren't more important things to worry or stress us. We decide what kind of attitude we have, and no matter what the challenge is, we'll be resilient to it according to that attitude. We (I) could flip out about Andre Agassi being beaten by Darth Federer (I don't ever remember being so angry in my life), or we (I) could flip out about people who blatantly choose to disagree with the prophet and think they're smarter for it. One has a little more significance than the other, yet my responses were similar. It's all based on the priority ranking we give our worries. So, if something has to always be on our mind, is there anything to do but always be worried or stressed about it? My thoughts are, "Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal: But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven. . . "(Matt 6:19-20); "For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts higher than your thoughts" (Isaiah 55:9). "Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. . ." (Matt 6:34).
The more we replace worries with thoughts of eternal nature, the happier we will be. "For God hath not given us the spirit of fear, but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind" (2 Timothy 1:7). I'll take those any day over stress.