Sunday, January 4, 2009

Kick in the pants Sunday

Do you ever feel like Sundays are a kick in the pants in that they thrust you forward into the next week with the necessary enthusiasm and motivation? I picture Booggie lying on the ground, feet in the air, my bottom on top of them. She springs me forward into something seemingly terrifying that soon turns into a giggle of excitement. That's a good Sunday to me--and that's what today was.

Let's admit it--I cried leaving New York (twice), I cried leaving Lay-town. I just couldn't keep in the love I had for breaks, family, and home. Provo and school did not seem like any enjoyable solution. Then I came back to my Relief Society dears and it was all worth it. Three Relief Society lessons--each unique in their inspirations but common in their purpose: life is always going to be hard, but encouragement to face it can be rejuvenated again and again.
The real essence for my encouragement is people--that's the business we're about here. That's the business of Relief Society. I can hear lesson after lesson, but if I'm the same old me, nothing changes when I walk out of the church. But people that live the lesson--now that's something worth talking about.

I stayed to visit with the president after the last meeting. What a surprise that she (Emily) was such a natural teacher because she is a teacher, and an elementary one, too. :) I can't tell you how encouraging it was to hear that she is in her fourth year and gets through her lack of passion for public schools by having realistic expectations. What? Is that legal? There are so many things a teacher can/should do, yet can't, right? Wrong. Like anyone else, Emily knows that although a calling in life, teaching is still a job, and deserves to be treated as such--something you can leave at the end of the day and not base half your self-esteem around it. Do what you do, love it if you can, and be done with it. What's the hassle in that?

Then enters Marci, cute smile and happy countenance. "Are you excited to start school tomorrow?" I ask, dreading it myself. "Oh my gosh, yes!" she beams. "I'm so excited, aren't you?!" I think I had a heart attack--seriously. Right then I decided that I needed a change in heart and attitude and until I made it I would fake it. So now I love school, and I love Provo, and I love me.

Exit Marci and enter Mara, the sweetest person you will ever meet. You can't talk to the child without feeling selfless and sincere. And what if I had not flipped the switch of enthusiasm? How different my concern toward her and service to others would be if I had a heart full of annoyances and complaints? How pleasurable life is when we make it that way, she taught me as we chatted. Needless to say, I woke up happy, learned some and felt happier, saw the happiness in others and left happiest.
Launch me further, Booggie! 'Twas a kick in the pants I tell you.