Saturday, January 10, 2009

To my ski gang and Meegz: Thanks for the memories :)

The best thing all day was about the only thing all day (but still the best): going skiing. With the back injury from the night before, I knew I was nuts to do this, but I’d already promised Greg, and the skis were rented and in the trunk. I had this paranoia all night that I would fail him and shut off my alarm in my sleep. I think I woke up twice every hour until what I thought was 8:04. “NOOOOO!” I panicked, jumping out of bed. “It really happened, I’m a half hour late!” I was so embarrassed and wondered what Greg was up to, but it didn’t matter because I had to get dressed ASAP and get out of there. And I hadn’t packed a lunch. And I couldn’t find my phone (I’d been looking for it all night to make sure my alarm would go off—why didn’t it?) It was all too overwhelming and I finally decided I needed to check my real clock again to see just how harsh the time was and how soon I could tell Greg I would be ready. 4:08 it read. You’ve got to be kidding me. I’m such a nerd. So, I went back to bed, and figured my phone would go off when it really should go off, (thus I would find it) and all would be well. Expect that my phone was on silent. I slept beautifully those next three hours, and didn’t wake up until 7:45. Oops. Still had to pull together my layers of clothing, and resorted to buying food for lunch on the way.
In the end, Greg and I still got to the slopes just after Logan and Sara, and boy, was I right about a sore day. Bad idea to ski with a hurt back. Sara had it worse though when she hit a rock covered in snow, fell face first, and had her ski flip up and hit her in the back of the head. So I relinquished the Tylenol and the rest of the day turned out satisfying for us tired souls. I was glad we’d gone in the end because I learned not only was it’s Sara’s homecoming to skiing, but Greg’s farewell as he is going to Alabama for the Air Force soon. So sad! There was nothing like the highlight of the day, then-- Logan, Greg, and I singing “Desperado” as our lift chair passed over that ski run just like the good ole days. Man, I’m going to miss these guys. I told Greg I was going to start crying on our last run, but I saved it until after he got out of the car. ☺ The last run was a groomed blue, and there’s just nothing like going full speed down a light run at the end of the day when you’ve been on black powder runs all morning. Ahh, what a thrill. Fare thee well Gregums and Meegz; it’s been real, and fun, and sometimes real[ly] fun. ☺