Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Speaking of small miracles...

the best thing that happened all day: my three hour class that only went an hour and forty-five minutes. Seems like I had a boring day, I know, but seriously, I wanted to kiss my teacher when she abruptly ended with, "Okay, we're done. See you in the McKay building next week." Just five minutes before, I was wondering and praying what to do with my life, as I had reached my limit of sitting and standing. There were participation activities happening so I couldn't just leave Scott free, and thus I wished that I would either die or find a way out of class. I ended up with the better of the two, I'd say. :)

The best thing I heard all day might just be the next voicemail for all my friends who have been driven nuts by my songs/pumpkin poems/learning the months of the year :) (thank you second graders). Today during writer's workshop, one student raised his hand to show me all of the poems he had been working on. They all awkwardly rhymed (because he "doesn't like poems that don't rhyme") and were hilarious.

Horses by Alex

Horses say Nay
Horses eat hay
and horses
never run away

was a quickie, and one of my favorites. It beat out the other boy who wanted to know what to write about because he heard someone say "Santa's fat" and had to make that his title. When I suggested then that he tell the story of how Santa became fat, we brainstormed at length about some of the events leading up to the weight gain. :) Five minutes later he raised his hand again, and when I came over he said, "Now look at my story!" The page was blank and the title had been changed to "People's Jobs". Whatever! :)

To end on the "precious" who keeps me ticking, the best thing I saw all day was Janae practicing her scary story book talk. With our lights off and my flashlight to her face, she looked just like the Gatekeeper from Emmaline's vhs Halloween game. Need I say more?